MariaDB is an implementation of a relational database management system (RDBMS) which is distributed free of charge under the GPL (General Public License). Every user can freely use MariaDB, but the software may not be used as a commercial derivative product with limitations.
The goal of MariaDB is to become a substituted derivative of MySQL by providing more features and better quality performance but still maintaining compatibility and API like MySQL. MariaDB was born out of “fear” of whether Oracle would distribute MySQL under a paid license or take something wrong in its development.
How to Download MariaDB Latest Version
If the CMS website no longer supports the MariaDB version installed on your server, you must upgrade or downgrade the MariaDB MySQL package. Here’s how to install the latest version of MariaDB:
- Go to mariadb.org, then click “Download.”
- Next select “Download MariaDB Server.”
- Please select the latest version. When this article was written, MariaDB had the latest version, namely “MariaDB 10.5 Series“. Then click “Download 10.5.3 RC Now!“.
- Before you download the file name and type, it is recommended that you first make a selection on the right to get a file that matches your pc/laptop. The files I downloaded are MariaDB operating system (OS) windows, MSI type Package, 64-bit CPU, and Mirror Telkom University Bandung.
- If the file is selected, please click on the file. It will be automatically downloaded.
MariaDB Support Client Tools
MariaDB needs support from client tools to achieve better results. This tool is very helpful for users in using this application. Some of the supports include:
- Database Workbench: Application for development and administration of MariaDB relational databases and other databases. Able to work with interoperability between different databases.
- BBEdit: MariaDB database management and administration application and other databases.
- HeidiSQL: An open-source client application or the Windows operating system. HeidiSQL also supports MariaDB with support for specific features such as Virtual Columns.
- Navicat: Multiple database management applications, including MariaDB. Navicat is a cross-platform application with a proprietary license.
- phpMyAdmin: Web-based database administration and management application for MySQL.
- SQLyog: Database administration and management application for Windows and Linux operating systems.
Advantages of MariaDB
There are quite several uses that MariaDB can provide if you install it. The advantages are very helpful for you, supported by a qualified filter. Among others:
- Portability. MariaDB can run stably on various operating systems such as Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, Mac Os X Server, Solaris, Amiga, etc.
- Open-source software. MariaDB is distributed as open-source software under the GPL license to be used free.
- Multi-user. Multiple users can use MariaDB simultaneously wihout experiencing problems or conflicts.
- Variety of data types. MariaDB has various data types, such as signed/unsigned integer, float, double, char, text, date, timestamp, and others.
- Commands and functions. MariaDB has full operators and processes that support Select and Where controls in queries.
- Scalability and Restrictions. MariaDB can handle large-scale databases, with more than 50 million records and 60 thousand tables, and 5 billion rows. In addition, the index limit that can be accommodated reaches 32 indexes in each table.
- Connectivity. MariaDB can connect with clients using the TCP/IP, Unix sockets (UNIX), or Named Pipes (NT) protocols.
- Language localization. MariaDB can detect error messages on clients in more than twenty languages. However, Indonesian is not included in it.
- Interface. MariaDB has an interface for various applications and programming languages using API (Application Programming Interface) functions.
- Clients and equipment. MariaDB is equipped with various tools (tools) that can be used for database administration, and on each of the existing tools are included online instructions.
Well, that was the explanation and basic guide to using mariadb. Besides that, you also know the tools and advantages of using mariaDB. Hopefully this article can help you. Good luck!